The digital world is continuously growing and evolving at a massive pace. There are more interesting details and intriguing facts about internet networking technology than you can imagine.
In this article, we are going to shed light on some notable information about the internet. It will help you understand the sheer size and impact of the internet and how well it is fulfilling its purpose. Many new internet service providers have surfaced, and old ones have improved immensely. Among the top providers in the US is Mediacom internet, which offers high-speed internet at affordable prices. Visit here to check out their packages and plans so you can easily choose what best fits your needs.
Listed down are the most noteworthy internet networking technology facts and statistics divided into various categories. So, let us not waste time and get to the good part.
General Facts and Figures
Internet technology has revolutionized the world by bringing everyone closer to knowledge. More than five billion people worldwide use the internet to study, learn, play, work and socialize. Some of more most popular general statistics on the internet are as follows.
- As of July 2022, there were over 5 billion internet users out of more than 8 billion of the world’s population. That means over 60% of the whole world uses the internet.
- More than a quarter of the internet is in English, making it the most popular internet language so far. The numbers are over 25% for English, 19% for Chinese, and 8% for Spanish.
- Out of the 7 continents in the world, Asia holds the largest internet user count that goes well over 2 billion people. It is followed by the Americas in second place, with less than half of that number, reaching over 800 million users.
Web Search Data
As we just read, there are billions of internet users in the world, but what do they do on the internet? Here are some internet usage statistics to answer that question.
- One of the major things that most people go to the internet for is to search for something. The most popular search engine in the world right now is Google, boasting over 92% market share, beating Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and others by a lengthy margin. According to the same source, there are over 3.7 billion searches that happen every day on Google.
- The most searched queries on Google in 2022 are Wordle, Election results, Betty White, Queen Elizabeth, and Bob Saget – making the top 5 trending searches.
Mobile Usage Statistics
Almost everyone in the world today has a smartphone, and it is growing more with the rise in technological advancements. Some amazing mobile web statistics are as follows.
- Globally, there are over 4 billion active internet users from mobile devices and from recent studies, more than 59% of website traffic comes from mobile phone users.
- As of November 2022, the global mobile operating system market share is led by Android with 71.96% share, followed by iOS with 27.48% share.
- Study shows an average of 3 hours and 15 minutes of time spent by people on their phones daily, doing different tasks such as browsing, social media, gaming, and more.
Social Media Statistics
The world of social media has managed to grow by leaps and bounds over the past decade. What were initially socializing platforms are now many things, including the e-commerce market, streaming applications, work mediums, and much more. Here are some interesting social media facts.
- As of October 2022, there are well over 4 billion social media users in the world with Facebook leading the charge with 2.934 billion monthly active users.
- According to reports, the main reason for using social media for 47% of these users is to remain in touch with friends and family.
- Talking about keeping in touch, Snapchat is a very popular communicating platform that has over 360 million active users that create more than 5 billion snaps every day.
Ecommerce World Figures
The ever-green world of e-commerce is seeing a wave of audience, especially after the pandemic. The following are the e-commerce world figures to know about.
- Statistics show over 26 million e-commerce websites operating across the globe, used by more than 2.14 billion digital buyers.
- The most popular online e-commerce platform in the world is Amazon which gets over 5 billion visits per month.
Cyber Security Statistics
Cybersecurity has always been a concern ever since the introduction of the internet. And today it is more important to look after it. Following that, here are some cybersecurity statistics.
- Globally, there are an estimated 2200 cyberattacks per day, with more than 70% of online fraud happening through mobile phones.
- A cybercrime study shows that over 40% of cyberattacks are aimed at small businesses, and only 14% of them are prepared for it.
Internet of Things Facts
There has been a huge surge in the internet of things devices, and it is not going to stop anytime soon. Below are some IoT facts that you should be aware of in the next year.
- According to statistics reports, there are well over 8 billion IoT devices. The popular ones among this by US penetration rate are Smart TVs at 81%, Smart Speakers at 37%, Streaming Devices at 25%, Smart Bulbs at 20%, and Security Cameras at 18%.
- A graphical representation of IoT devices value according to sectors shows 40.2% of devices belong to the industrial and business sector, followed by healthcare with 30.3%.
Other Notable Facts and Figures
Apart from all these important facts and statistics surrounding the internet, there are many other figures from a much broader perspective. However, we are not going to talk about all of them. Right now, we are looking at the most popular internet activities of US people.
- 90.8% use Emailing feature.
- 90.2% use it for Messaging.
- 74.4% Socialize.
- 69.5% watch different videos.
- 68.5% shop or book things.
- 65.9% look for financial services.
- 52.6% stream or download content.
- 46.6% utilize video calling.
- 22.6% do remote work.
- 20.8% search for various jobs.
- 19.1% use it for education.
- 11.0% is held by Household IoT.
The internet has helped us in more ways than one. We are surrounded by the internet of things that helps us move, chat, play, learn and do various activities easily. Moreover, it helps us save time, effort, and money.
Still, there are many complex details like which internet is the best and what to do if something troubles you. Due to this, many modern-age ISPs, like Mediacom services, focus heavily on improving their customer service. So, if you are a Mediacom user, click here to get in touch with their customer service.
Due to the rise of modernization and advancements, even calling the internet world immense would be an understatement as it has grown past those marks way back in the past. These were only some of the many stats that listing them all here would be impossible. Hopefully, we have increased your knowledge about many different things with these statistics. Next will solely be about the upcoming year, and much more is yet to be seen about what the future holds for internet networking technology.